Search This Blog

Download : What Is HTML5? [Kindle Edition]

What Is HTML5?
It is really difficult to complain about something that is free but I did spend the time to read the entire pamphlet hoping that I'd find something useful; and I didn't. I'm not sure who the target audience is intended to be. It seemed to me that to understand the context of the thesis you'd have to know more than a little bit about HTML and DOM to begin with. But even with that little bit of HTML and DOM knowledge you'd be frustrated because you never get a clear example of HTML versus HTML5. And if you didn't have that baseline HTML and DOM expertise then I think that "What is HTML5?" would leave you baffled.

I gave two stars because the points the author makes are valid and important, and it didn't cost me anything but my time. I just think that the points could have been made as effectively (maybe more so) in a 300 word blog entry, which would have been worth the time to read. 

HTML5 has been perhaps the most talked about revision of the web's native tongue since the early days of hyperlinked graphical online content. Over the years web has evolved far away from the paradigm of various linked "documents" which featured animation and interactivity as a bit of an afterthought. Various websites have become sophisticated enough to handle even the most demanding tasks that until recently on stand-alone desktop applications were capable of accomplishing. HTML alone was unable to handle many such applications on its own, and their implementation oftentimes require almost heroic efforts of coding wizardry and an alphabet soup of various online add-ons. This is where HTML5 comes in. It is designed from the ground up to be both compatible with previous versions of HTML, and provide the developer with an integrated approach to a whole variety of online formats and behaviors.